Thursday, March 3, 2022

Quicksilver by Dean Koontz



Hello everyone.  I hope you are having a great day.

Usually, I ramble on about my sisters or housework.  Today I want to address my husband.  Yes, I've told you about him before, how he is such a prince.  Ahhh, now let me tell you about the other side.  If we go to a restaurant, he barely says a word.  We sit eating it utter silence like two people on a terribly awkward first date.  However, if you have something you want to watch on tv, perhaps a long movie you have hours invested in, you can count on my husband to come parading in during the last ten minutes.  It's right when the guy is about to tell the girl he loves her and there is the big kiss.  Or you've watched 85 people killed Agatha Christie style on the remote island and you're about to learn who the killer is, THAT boys and girls is when my husband wants to chat.  Not only chat, he wants to stand squarely in front of the screen so I am denied the flowery wedding proposal or the bad guy falling off a cliff.  AND, if he turns around and sees some part of the movie, he instantly has to know who each person is and what has happened.  Honey, I've been watching this complicated who done-it, turned Radio City Rockettes show that has blossomed into a Brady Bunch reunion for hours... please don't ask me to explain.  Just thinking about it is making me roll my eyes like a teenager with an attitude. I'm convinced he is a Marvel superhero, Chatty Carl, ready to leave you sitting silently in a restaurant or voice bombing your movie ending in a single bound.  Yup, that's my punkin.

I recently read Quicksilver by Dean Koontz.  This is the story of a baby left abandoned on the middle of a highway.  He's taken to an orphanage but sadly never adopted.  We are following him now that he is out of high school and has a job as a writer, telling people about the state of Arizona.  For some reason I put this book to the back of my "read stack."  Something about it just didn't appeal to me.  Feeling obligated since I spent good money on it, I started to read.  Oh my gosh, this young man discovers he possesses some sort of magnetism.  Not like spoons go flying, sticking to his forehead.  He can be out driving and will be pulled to something for an unknown reason.  In the beginning he is pulled to an old building where he discovers a valuable gold coin.  The story really takes off.  It holds your interest the whole way through.  If you're thinking Arizona, dessert, dry, maybe dry story, then stop, because you are wrong. This story is surprising and went to places I had no idea were coming.

The reading is easy with short chapters often ending with a revelation.  This book is fun, and Koontz has some cute little sarcastic zingers added for good measure. 

Don't be like me, pull it to the front of the class, I promise it isn't the dunce.

ps.  hubby is now pouting

No comments:

Post a Comment