Saturday, April 23, 2022

Insomnia by Sarah Pinborough



Hello everyone.  I hope you are having a fantastic day.

Am I having a fantastic day? Oh gosh, thanks for asking, it's okay.  I'm tired.  I'm always tired. Why?  Because I am a bad sleeper.  There is one person to blame for that and it's not me, it is my mother.  Oh yes, my mother was a saint in most ways except when it came to naps...she insisted on them when I was a kid.  I was the only one of all my friends who had to come inside from playing to take a nap.  I would be over at Laurie's house, playing jump rope with several of the neighborhood girls and my mother would open the door and start yelling, "April, come home, it's time for your nap."  First of all, when you are eight, nothing gets you labeled faster than being called home for any reason other than dinner.  Secondly, I missed out.  Not only did I have to slunk home but I was forced to lie in bed. With the windows open on the glorious play outside kind of day, I had to listen to all my friends continue to have a blast...without me.  It was torture.  Whenever my husband says anything about a nap, to this day, I shoot him a dirty look.  In addition, now I'm a bad sleeper at night.  I hate sleeping and have seen every TV show on at 3 or 4 AM, in fact, I have most of them memorized.  All because of being called home for naps.  

I recently read Insomnia by Sarah Pinborough.  This book was so good, I don't even want to waste the time to tell you what it's about, just go buy it. If you enjoyed Behind Her Eyes, this is even better. Okay, for those wanting a bit more, this is the story of Emma.  Emma is a divorce attorney up for partnership at her firm.  She supports her family, her husband stays home taking care of the house and kids.  Emma is counting down the days to her fortieth birthday, because that's when her mother went mad.  Not just a little crazy, like I'll eat my chicken nuggets with no barbeque sauce crazy, but locked away crazy.  Mom's break with reality started when she couldn't sleep just prior to her birthday, now Emma can't sleep.  No matter what she tries, tea, pills, sleep eludes her.  As the days tick by Emma doubts her sanity, is she sleep deprived or worse.  After all, her mother always told Emma they were exactly alike.

I just don't want to tell you about this book.  It is so good and I would be crushed if I ruined it for you.  In fact, I've got it set aside for hubby to read and it's driving me crazy not talking about it.  Just trust me, if you like thrillers, boy are you in for a wild ride.  This book will keep you up all night in the best way (reading....I mean reading). Let's be honest, you can only watch Frasier reruns so many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment