Tuesday, April 19, 2022

The Resting Place by Camilla Sten



Hello everyone.  I hope you are well.

Spring has sprung here.  I lied, spring has gotten drunk, suffered the hangover, and is resting quietly in a dark room, we have moved right on to summer.  I totally object.  I need at least three months without running heat or air conditioning. Someone ought to call mother nature and tell her that running both the heat and the air conditioning in the same month is unfair.  It plays havoc with my sinus and checkbook.  Why can't it just be pleasant?  While I'm on my soap box and giving my megaphone a workout, I just ordered groceries.  I'm not going to say I passed out, but a bit of hyperventilating was definitely in order, butter is now $7.36 here, lest you think I'm trying to buy an entire cow, no, that is just for one pound.  If you've never made butter, let me flex my housewife muscles, (stop laughing) I've made butter.  Yes, from scratch.  You put heavy cream in a container and shake it.  That's it.  What on earth could make that simple product be over seven bucks?  Honestly.  By the way, we only shook it the first time, every time after we threw the cream in the food processor, pressed the button and viola ...butter.  None of this has anything to do with a book except that relief from my personal butter crisis and the world's bad news has been to read.

I recently read The Resting Place by Camilla Sten.  She is the author of The Lost Village, which I enjoyed. The Resting Place, set in Sweden, follows Eleanor who has face blindness.  One night when going to visit her grandmother, she walks in on her granny, Vivianne, being murdered.  Due to Eleanor being unable to recognize faces she cannot identify the killer, not even their gender.  Eleanor is shocked to find she has inherited a mansion in the country, that she never knew existed and has been empty for the last fifty years.  This massive house comes with acreage, stables, outbuildings, the works.  Eleanor, her boyfriend, aunt, and a lawyer visit the house to inventory all the belongings.  Things start going wrong, odd parts of the house discovered, things are not as they appear.  A snowstorm blows in making roads impassable and being outside for even a minute dangerous. As secrets are revealed the need to run, the urge to leave, is imperative but impossible. 

This story was very entertaining, and I flew through this book.  I very much liked the last Sten book, but this was even better.  The plot was much stronger and the characters were fewer and more well defined.  I loved that nothing could be trusted in this multi-level story.  This was a good time from page one until the very end.

Treat yourself and go get this book, heck it's almost cheaper than butter!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds a little like Rock, Paper, Scissors, what with the face blindness. Maybe that's becoming a bit of a trend in thrillers; certainly makes for a good plot device!

    ReplyDelete