Sunday, November 6, 2022

The Prisoner by B.A. Paris




Hello everyone. I hope you are doing well.

Today we picked up an order from the mart of walls (Walmart).  Despite carefully ordering only items "in stock" in my store and not on short inventory, 15 items out of 36 were out of stock.  I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that very soon when I order groceries, not only are they not going to have anything but are going to request I bring THEM something from home.  Seriously, when they are out of my ordered whole chicken, chicken breasts, chicken thighs, even turkey lunch meat...what am I supposed to serve?  I didn't just read Harry Potter and am unable to swish and flick something on the plate for lunch or dinner.  Okay, housewifey rant over, at least I worked a book in there.  Phew. 

I recently read The Prisoner by B.A. Paris.  It came out last Tuesday, was delivered Thursday, I started it Friday night and was done by early afternoon on Saturday.  I was mesmerized by this story.  I think I slept for twenty minutes and tried getting up to read when hubby protested it was too early...and I read until 6:30 in the morning.  M-e-s-m-e-r-i-z-i-n-g.  I have read hundreds of thrillers but for some reason this one I could not put down...for anything...including sleep.  I have read all but one of B.A. Paris' books and liked them all.  This one, I don't know, it had a grip on me that wouldn't let go.

This is the story of Amelie and she is married to Ned.  Ned, a gazillionaire, is not a very nice person.  One day, they are both kidnapped.  They are kept separately while awaiting the payment of the ransom.  They are also kept in complete darkness.  Sounds like it would be difficult to make a great story out of due to the limited location.  It isn't.  The darkness just amps up the tension, you feel the darkness, the starkness, and find yourself almost holding your breath.  The story becomes more complicated when Amelie sadly realizes that she might be safer with her kidnappers then with her own husband.  Is she experiencing Stockholm syndrome or is Ned really a danger to his own wife? This is only a fraction of this involved, always twisting story.  

This book is under 300 pages, with such an elaborate story and being shorter than many, you know the author doesn't have a word that isn't absolutely necessary.  It also means to fit the whole tale in, this book must move along.  It flies!  Loved it and now have a huge case of book hangover.

If you buy this book, read it with a booklight in a dark room....I dare you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment