Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn



Hello everyone.  I hope you're having a great day.

Years ago, I had all my parent's slides, they took gobs of photos.  The slides were starting to degrade and were hard to look at without setting up a lot of equipment.  Despite it being more overwhelming than cooking Thanksgiving dinner for a family of twenty with a picky Aunt Sue and cranky Uncle Hank, I scanned all the slides into my computer.  Within those family slides is an engineering drawing that I have no idea what it is.  When I was a kid, I was convinced my dad was a spy due to his wearing sunglasses, hey I was little and I'm quite certain that all spies covet an extensive sunglass wardrobe (they probably have cameras in them).  Of course, my dad was a regular person, but that miscellaneous slide had me wondering about him and his job that took him to top secret sites.

I recently read Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn.  This is the story of four aging women, spies, well assassins is more accurate.  The group these ladies work for has sent them on a fantastic all expenses paid cruise to mark their retirement. While trying to enjoy their relaxing gift they realize that someone is on the cruise that shouldn't be, in fact, it is someone they work with...a fellow assassin.  The four women quickly realize that this time they aren't the killers but the targets.   Why would an organization they have been so loyal to suddenly turn on them?  How do they come out alive when those after them are as well trained as they are?

This book is smart, fun, quick moving, interesting and laugh out loud funny.  Anyone will enjoy this book but if you are forty or older you will start to recognize some of their aches and pains, along with other "hormonal things" going on with their bodies.  All of this commentary on aging and the actual story of hunting assassins is told with so much humor, if was a pleasure to read.  My only regret is that this book isn't the beginning of a series, as I could do with a whole lot more of these wise-cracking ladies.

Hey, my dad went on a cruise once...hmmmmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment