Monday, January 16, 2023

Sign Here by Claudia Lux



Hello everyone.  I hope you've enjoyed a nice weekend.

I messed up and I've come to confess.  Occasionally I receive advanced copies of books from publishers.  Although they arrive with no strings attached, I feel like I should read and review them.  It seems only fair. A book for free and an advanced look? Yes, please.  It is a privilege that I would never want to abuse.  Let's face it, books even simply printed proof copies, are expensive, just like everything else.  In addition, I'm certain the author has their hopes up for some great feedback to help with their book sales (certainly not all reviews are positive).  

I dropped the ball.  Yes, there were the holidays, covid, and life in general, but I read plenty of other books in that time.  So, to Berkley publishing, I apologize.  I don't know if it was the length or topic, something stopped me from diving into your book immediately.  I hope other readers won't be so skittish, they would be missing out.

I recently read Sign Here by Claudia Lux.  This is the story of a man named Peyote who is in hell.  Yes, literal hell.  The descriptions are both terrifying and hilarious.  What I thought might turn my stomach was completely engaging.  Peyote is trying to get one final person in the Harrison family to sign over their soul, for which he will be rewarded.  The story also follows the Harrison family as they live their lives on earth.  They decide to spend their summer at the family lake house.  What seems like an idyllic vacation suddenly turns dark as the reader finds out that years ago something bad happened at that house.  Family members are hiding secrets that are starting to make others wonder.  One person knows the truth of what happened, Peyote, from hell.  He can use that knowledge to his advantage to get that one last soul.

Please, please, don't be like I was.  Do not let this book intimidate you with its 400+ pages and difficult topic.  This story is interesting, suspenseful, fun, witty, dark, and an easy read.  It's new and unique.  You can't say that as much these days.  Definitely worth a read.  I thoroughly enjoyed it!

If you want to receive advanced copies of books, you don't need to have a blog.  Authors are happy to have reviews anywhere.  You can go to Netgalley and read eBooks; you have to review on their site but once you get going publishers may approve you to receive that latest blockbuster early.  Or you can go to Bookishfirst, they usually send you a paper copy.  They require you to come back and write a review on their site.  Or you can go to Goodreads, under the browse button there are giveaways...hundreds of giveaways.  Goodreads would like you to come back and review the book, but it isn't required.  I'm certain there are more sites, but these are very reputable and well known. No soul selling for these books!

No comments:

Post a Comment