Monday, January 9, 2023

The Villa by Rachel Hawkins



Hello everyone.  I hope your day is going well.

Some people walk through life (literally) with grace.  Not me, I walk through everything with an eternal sense of clumsiness.  Sadly, some of my lack of walking on clouds has rubbed off on my husband.  Now some of his troubles he deserves.  Hubby constantly leaves glasses, bowls, everything, halfway on and halfway off the counter or table.  It's begging mean old Mr. Gravity to do his job, while he laughs maniacally and twists his handlebar mustache.  This time, I'm talking about accidents.  One time after my grandfather had died, my sisters and I rented a house on the beach in Nags Head, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  We invited my grandmother, thinking it would be a great escape for her and reenforcing that we were still a family of which she was a big part.  One day while helping my grandmother in her room, hubby had to get something that had fell behind a set of drawers.  They were about hip high, and he didn't realize that the top drawer was slightly open.  As he bent over the top to pull her item from behind the dresser, um...some very personal part of his body traveled into the top of the drawer (yes, he was dressed), at the same time he was leaning against the drawer.  Yes, he gave himself a major pinch, all the while not letting on to my grandmother what had happened.  Yep, that's one of my memories of renting a house for a family vacation.

I recently read The Villa by Rachel Hawkins.  I've reviewed several of her books before, enjoying them.  In addition, she writes The Ex Hex series under the name Erin Sterling, also reviewed here.  The Villa is about Emily and Chess, both authors and best friends from Asheville, NC.  When reunited for a visit they decide to spend the summer in Italy in a famous villa with an interesting history.  The story moves in dual timelines between the present and 1974 where five people are also renting the same villa for the summer.  They are musicians and a writer.  All hoping the setting will improve their creativity. Sadly in 1974 one of the five ends up murdered.  The crime is solved and one of them goes to jail, but when in the present-day Emily does some research, it appears things may not have been as it seemed.  As the book moves through everyone's time on their vacation, parts of their histories start to match up.  Will Emily solve what really happened in 1974, will the cursed house tear Em and Chess apart or worse?  

While I have enjoyed Rachel Hawkins past books this one is so superior.  The story is multi layered, interesting, moves at a thoughtful pace.  While not a heart pounding thriller, you'll be thrilled to keep those pages turning.  Highly entertaining, this book is hard to put down.  Don't miss it.

Now that I've told you about my husband and his hurt...um...pride...I better go make sure all the kitchen drawers are closed.   

No comments:

Post a Comment