Friday, April 19, 2024

The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine



Hello everyone. I hope you're having a great day.

A few years ago, we took a trip to New England. So many things went horribly wrong, but I'll save that for another time. Some things went kind of right and were oddly hilarious.  I emphasize ODDLY.  We went north then through the Catskills, heading east and ending up in Mystic, Connecticut. Yes, we ate at the restaurant where they filmed Mystic Pizza.  It has been expanded and changed since the movie.  The next morning, we got lost leaving town and GPS took us down this road that looked familiar.  It was the road from the movie where they filmed the hitchhiking scene.  I wanted to get out of the car, lean over and shake my hair, but hubby gave me the look he does when he knows I've lost what little is left of my mind.  I guess he thinks I'm no Julia Roberts. Next, we ended up in Cohasset, Massachusetts.  That is the little town in the movie Housesitter, with Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn.  We started looking around then discovered there was a category four hurricane headed directly for our area back home.  That ended that, and a panic stricken fourteen-hour drive ensued.  Thankfully, the hurricane veered off the coast, which was great news.  On the bad side, my husband said lines from Housesitter incessantly for the next two weeks, driving me to the brink of madness.

I recently read The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine.  In case you didn't know, I didn't, Liv Constantine is the pen name of two sisters, Lynne and Valerie Constantine.  I have great admiration for these two women, working together. If I had to write a book with any of my sisters, there would be at least one dead body and it wouldn't be in the book! In this story, set in Connecticut, we follow Amber, an invisible feeling but highly socially ambitious young woman.  She meets Daphne, a wealthy socialite, with the picture-perfect family and life. While becoming friends, Amber's jealousy grows. She insinuates herself into Daphne's life more and more.

This book is a quick mover.  The characters are so fun.  Amber is deliciously wicked, and Daphne is much more than she seems. Loaded with gasp worthy twists, this will keep you reading until the end. Even after it is over, you'll find yourself with a major case of book hangover from this dastardly thriller. 

I've had this book for a few years, never "getting to it."  I made time for it now because...shhh...there may be a sequel on the way (June).  I may have already read the sequel too and it is equally fun.  If this is sitting on your shelf in your ever growing tbr, dust it off, and get reading.  You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment