Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Daughter of Mine by Megan Miranda



Hello everyone. I hope you're having a great day.

Well, we had big excitement here in the United States (and North America) this week.  We had a total solar eclipse.  Not here, of course.  My sisters could see it, with over 90% totality, but had clouds and rain.  We had 85% and perfectly blue skies and a pleasant 70 degrees. but had no glasses.  We were doing our taxes at the time.  I can hear Saturday Night Live's NPR Delicious Dish ladies saying sarcastically, "Good Times," about taxes. Our friend had the right idea.  He took a trip to Stowe, Vermont about a week ago.  He was there before the travel madness began and saw 100% totality. Pretty neat.  I liked seeing the news about the people that got married right before the eclipse, watched as newlyweds, then had their first dance right after the sun came back out.  Sappy, I know, but so sweet and romantic. This has nothing to do with the current book, but I am jealous of those of you that saw it. 

I recently read Daughter of Mine by Megan Miranda.  This is the story of Hazel who must go home to attend the funeral of her adoptive father.  Sadly, the town of Mirror Lake, NC is experiencing a terrible drought.  The town's lake recedes as the lack of rain persists, secrets start to be revealed.  These secrets just might include things from Hazel's family's own past...topics that some would rather stay submerged forever.  The more Hazel discovers, the more dangerous her stay in her hometown becomes.  Can she solve the mysteries that abound before she becomes part of that suspicious past herself?

I've read several books by Megan Miranda and have liked them all.  Daughter of Mine is my favorite.  The story is rich and involved.  She had me suspecting one person after another, each time I was sure I had solved this mystery.  Despite my "I read a lot of thrillers, I've got this figured out" attitude...I didn't.  Megan Miranda beat me, I had it all wrong.  I love when that happens!  This is a fast, fun, and interesting read.  It will hold your attention from beginning to end.  As usual, a solid story and very enjoyable read.

Kisses to the publisher for the advanced copy. I know, kisses isn't professional, but I' a housewife that just saw a group wedding after a total eclipse.  What the heck.

No comments:

Post a Comment