Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Stay Awake by Megan Goldin



Hello everyone. I hope your week is going well so far.

One gets to be a housewife by being a wife.  My husband is the kindest person you'd ever meet but upon getting married he did have some things I had to get used to...male things.  First there is the air that comes from places that I didn't know exist, frankly I think the male body has more openings than the female.  Next, despite being evolved, smart, and truly nice, at times he will still objectify women.  If he is talking about some woman we don't know by name, the first thing he uses to describe her is her chest size.  Then there is the snoring.  Certainly lots of people snore, but my husband has it down to a fine science...just ask our neighbor three doors down!  He usually goes to sleep before me, as I've stated before I am a bad sleeper.  I will try, try being the optimal word there, to watch TV.  I find it impossible to hear the dialog over his snoring.  I've even recorded it and played to back for him, showing him that he really does possess a world class talent.  Not only am I wide awake if he's snoring, it's been going on for so much of my life, now I think there is something wrong if he sleeps peacefully.  Yep, I'm awake either way.

I recently read Stay Awake by Megan Goldin.  This is the story of Liv Reese, who wakes up in the back of a taxi in New York City.  She doesn't know how she got there or why there is this bizarre writing on the back of her hand telling her to stay awake.  What is even odder is that she discovers not only doesn't she know what happened the night that landed her in the taxi asleep, but she doesn't remember the last two years.  While trying to figure out what is going on she finds out that someone has been murdered and the murderer has written, in blood on the window, a message about remaining awake.  Could she have done something terrible?

Holy cow does this book move.  Honestly, don't start this unless you can finish it.  The story boasts short chapters, often ending with terrifying revelations, bouncing between two years ago and the present day.  This suspenseful thriller fills the reader with the urgent need to know what has happened to Liv.   I don't want to give anything away but turn on Netflix for your kids, order take out, and clear your schedule, this one is wild.

By the way, hubby wants to read this book.  Finally, I have something to keep him awake!

No comments:

Post a Comment