Tuesday, August 2, 2022

The Big Dark Sky by Dean Koontz




Hello everyone.  I hope you're having a great day.

You would think living near the North Carolina coast, where millions of people flock to for their annual vacations, that I would think of nothing else.  No, I always have to be the oddball.  I have been incredibly homesick lately.  Hubby and I have even considered moving there.  Unfortunately, although he was willing, the property taxes and school taxes for upstate New York are terrifying! I don't mean cute little kid dressed as any political figure on Halloween scary.  I mean a girl, usually with big boobs, in baby doll pajamas (for no reason) and high heels, in a haunted house with a serial killer chasing her, with all phone lines cut, and the lights go out... terrifying.  Hubby was surprisingly into the idea of fall spent wandering the pumpkin farms, the cider mill, high school football games and stunning leaves.  I even had him primed for snow filled Christmases.  Darn, I don't think I can convince him to drive ten hours to pick apples and see fall leaves.

I recently read The Big Dark Sky by Dean Koontz.  This is the story of Joanna Chase who grew up on a ranch in Montana.  She starts getting bizarre phone calls and tv broadcasts telling her to go to her childhood home, the theme of returning home invades her dreams as well.  Unable to resist, Joanna heads home determined to see a childhood friend still in the area and find out what is going on.  However, Joanna isn't the only one going to Montana as several other people have been implored for one reason or another to converge at her childhood home. All find themselves in danger as there is a madman nearby, determined to clean the planet by killing everyone, beginning with them.

I don't know why but I never look forward to a Dean Koontz book like I do others.  I really should though, as I can't remember ever being let down by one of his stories.  Koontz books are rarely about what I think they will be, are usually a bit kooky, always feature great writing, and never fail to keep me entertained.  What else could you want?  The Big Dark Sky will have you mesmerized until the end. 

Oh, one more thing.  Amazon currently has this book rated 4.5 stars.  I tell you that so you'll know and NOT be tempted to read any of the reviews.  Many of them mention topics revealed in the book, making them spoilers for the many twists.

No comments:

Post a Comment