Tuesday, February 20, 2024

The Guest by B.A. Paris






Hello everyone.  I hope your day is perfection.

Have you ever had company that stayed too long?  Frankly, I would have no problem telling my sisters it was time to leave.  What is the movie line, after a while they start to stink "like yesterday's diapers?"  That has never happened.  Despite them being total brats, even as adults, I still can't get them to stay for long enough when they visit. I know, it is crazy. I'm begging for trouble. Speaking of people overstaying their welcome, my husband is always amused by a restaurant name.  On the Outer Banks, in Kill Devil Hills, there is a restaurant named "Eat and Get the Hell Out."  I don't know, sounds like the kind of place that would charge you for a napkin. In reality it is supposed to be very good. If you are there on vacation, I'm sure they would treat you right, just don't stay too long.

I recently read The Guest by B.A. Paris.  I've read many books from this author and have enjoyed them.  The Guest is the story of a married couple, Iris and Gabriel.  They come home from a trip to discover their friend, Laure, living in their house.  She has had a falling out with her husband, Pierre, who is also their good friend. Pierre has confessed to Laure that he had an affair that resulted in a child.  This betrayal adds additional sting because Laure wanted to have children, but Pierre did not.  Naturally, this fills Laure with rage, resentment and questions about their future.  Iris and Gabriel do their best to be good hosts but as Laure's stay wears on, stress abounds and questions mount.

This book somehow feels different from Paris' others.  The story is complicated, yet simple.  She is excellent at misdirection, guiding us through one situation to the next.  Characters are well developed and likeable, leaving just enough room for a bit of suspicion.  I became entrenched in the twists and turns which last until the satisfying end.  A very fun read.

Many thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for this early copy of The Guest and supporting my B.A. Paris addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment