Friday, February 16, 2024

The Other Mothers by Katherine Faulkner



Hello everyone. I hope you are having a great day.

When I was a kid all the mothers in our neighborhood stuck together.  If you crossed the street without looking both ways and another mom saw you, you better believe by the time you got home you'd be in trouble.  Likewise, if it was hot, regardless of where you were a child would be treated to an ice-cold cup of Kool-Aid.  (Oh yeah!) (Get it? That is what the Kool-Aid man said.) If you were at someone's home on Sunday night, watching The Wonderful World of Disney, popcorn was the protocol as was lying on your stomach in front of the TV. 

One of my favorite neighborhood moms learned I disliked tomatoes.  She, Mrs. C, was completely offended. Mrs. C always had a beautiful garden and quite the green thumb.  She insisted I just hadn't had the "right" tomato and made me climb into her garden with her.  She plucked a ruby red cherry tomato off the vine and popped it into my mouth.  It was unlike anything I'd ever tasted.  Mrs. C was right, I loved tomatoes.  

Mrs. C and my mom would have birthday lunches and exchanged gifts.  I still have a copper Paul Revere tea kettle she gave my mom.  I still cook Mrs. C's Italian chicken. While most of the moms on our street were equally nurturing, Mrs. C was a little extra beloved.  Although she's gone now, sadly, I hope she knew how much she meant to so many.

I recently read The Other Mothers by Katherine Faulkner.  This is the story of a young mother, Tash, who has been invited into a desirable playdate group.  The members of this group are perfect moms.  They are wealthy with delightful houses and experiences.  Far different than that of Tash, whose young family is struggling financially. Once exploring this tight knit group of young women, Tash discovers a link between the group and a recent suspicious death.  As a journalist, this mystery is too great for her to resist.

This book was a quick read. The chapters are short, often ending on a reveal.  This makes it so easy to read just one chapter more, then just one more.  There are many characters, but they are fairly well defined, so there is no confusion.  The writing itself, is wonderful.  There are no unneeded words, yet scenes are set perfectly.  Dialogs are natural and flowing.  It was very pleasant to read.  The neighborhood mystery/thriller is fairly common, there is nothing really new here.  However, if you like that kind of story, like I do, this one really works.  The appeal for this is as it is with others set in common life....it could happen to you.  A solid, well told story, this was a fun book.

By the way, if Mrs. C was there, she would protect you from anyone evil, apply a Band-Aid to your knee and give you a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment